Sunday, June 19, 2011

Back at "Home," ....Again

Jon was sent back to Liberty West about 5 o'clock this afternoon. I had been feeling guilty about not getting up to see him on Friday and had been busy all day today but headed toward Toledo about 6. Someplace along the way it dawned on me that visiting hours were over at 8 but I decided to go ahead. (I had a Father's Day card for nephew Joe for him to sign--Joe will think that's neat! I got to the hospital and went to the desk to double-check on his room number and the nice person at the desk said they had no record of his being there so I headed back to Liberty (thank goodness it's just a matter of blocks) and called ahead to make sure he was there.

He looked really rugged; could hardly talk once I woke him up and was sleeping with his mouth open and his chest jerking with every breath. I immediately got the nurse who told me he was breathing like that when he came back. I assured her that it was not his normal breathing and usually signified something was wrong. I had already checked the urine and it was fine. She said she had just done his vitals and his oxygen was 99 but checked them again for me and his oxygen level was 88 so she upped the flow of oxygen. I assured her I wasn't leaving until his breathing improved and a half hour later told her it was the same. She checked his oxygen level and it was back up to 99. She listened to his lungs and stomach and declared them both ok. I called Barb and asked her if she remembered what Westerville did when he breathed like that and she said they either gave him an inhaler or a breathing treatment. The nurse said he did have orders for the inhaler so she gave that to him. A half hour later his breathing was much smoother, his head was not jerking back with each of the"kicks" in his ribs and the kicks themselves were considerably less strong so at 9:00 I headed for home.

Thanks for checking in. Hope you have a great Sunday.

No comments: