Friday, March 18, 2011

I'm so Lonesome, I Could Cry

Jon's is facing his first new move without much family around. While in Columbus Barb, his dad and I were there quite often. When he came to Defiance, he had his chair and was fortunate to know many of the staff, some of whom went to school with him and he had his friends who came around once in a while. Here in Toledo he's confined to his bed--his chair is still at my house, so he can't demand to get up--and he knows no one. He likes having his door closed which doesn't present an inviting atmosphere either. So at the moment he is going through a big dose of loneliness. I did notice today though that the blinds were open which is a plus...and the nurse informed me they like to keep the doors open although I don't know exactly how it keeps getting closed unless they don't have it open all the way.

I made a quick trip up today and spent more time with staff, signing papers, than I did with him. Seems as he is hitting the buzzer quite a bit asking for drinks. He evidently asked someone to put his Camelbac water bag on the dresser for some reason. I immediately had ice put in it and re-installed it on the side of the bed. Even had him do a couple of trial runs to reassure him that he can do it since he thought his hands splints were in the way.

I'm surprised by the splints...I've never seen him wear them as often as he has been the last few weeks. He has several sets and decided he didn't like the ones he was wearing so Greg found a different set in the garage for me to take to him. I'm not at all sure they were the ones he wanted though. I offered to put them on him but he asked to put them on the shelf...he gets to take them off in the afternoon so he'll probably change then.

While there I signed papers for him to have a wound vac on the largest bedsore. I also noticed that he was on his side. The last time I saw him he was flat on his back. The room was a little on the warm side and I was somewhat concerned when I saw how much he was sweating. I pointed out that fact to the nurse and suggested that she might check his blood pressure to see if he was going through autonomic dysreflexia.

I had to leave before either the wound vac was "installed" or before a blood pressure check was made. On the way home I received a return call from St. Joe's concerning Jon's eating order. The nurse reassured me it was okay for Jon to eat and I suggested that the new place probably wouldn't take my word for it and would she call and let them know. She said she would so hopefully he had supper. First, they have to find his divided plate and silveware, though.

You can tell Spring has come; not only is the weather warmer, the road crews filling potholes and the surveyors are out in full force, slowing traffic down!

Have a good weekend.

1 comment:

Cuz' Mark said...

I can understand the feeling of lonliness. There are many in the nursing home I'm in who rarely, if ever, have visitors or get out. I'm fortunate, as Jon has been, to live near my folks and have others who come to visit from time to time. Seeing how others around me exist, I know I would be pretty lonely myself although I do try to involve myself with the activities room and converse with those who can and will do so. Hang in there Jon. As soon as you can use your chair again, try to make some friends with other residents and get involved with what activities you may enjoy that the facility might offer and pray, read scripture, and pray!!!
With love and in Christ!
Cuz' Mark