Thursday, March 24, 2011

Geting Settled In

Stopped to see Jon twice this week. While I was there on Monday I taped a short video to show his Grandmother who has been very concerned about his progress-and my status. Since it hadn't rained like it was supposed to, I decided to take a quick run to Dearborn. Didn't let her know I was coming-just knocked on the door and there I was! The picture is small on a cell phone and the audio wasn't the greatest but at least she has some idea of his state of mind. Stopped back at Jon's on my way home for a few minutes and saw that his cousin Jonathon had been there. Unfortunately, Jon was either napping or had his eyes shut and Jonathon didn't wake him up. My Jon says if that ever happens with anyone else in the future--please wake him up! He doesn't get that much company and he appreciates each and every visit.

Carol and I stopped by after keeping me company at an anti-collective bargaining bill rally out on the shore of Lake Erie--we nearly froze to death! 38 degrees without factoring in the wind! I have bemoaned the condition of the Maumee River with the water that looks like a sandy liquid, but didn't realize the lake had started to look the same way! Lake looked as brown as can be.

Jon was visited by the occupational therapist on Monday while I was there. She doesn't like his splints so I imagine we'll have still another pair turning up soon. The therapist does an evaluation and works with him for 2 weeks and then turns the therapy over to restorative care. Then 3 months later another evaluation is made and the procedure repeated. Wish it had been like that at both the last two places although in all fairness to them he has been known to turn down therapy...

Hasn't had a swallow test yet. Jon says they're waiting until he can sit in a chair before they let him eat real food. Makes sense since an air bed or any of the specialized beds don't really let the patient get in a good upright position.

He does have a wound vac on the largest of the sores now. It was put on on Tuesday. Hopefully that will speed up progress although as deep and wide as it is it has a huge way to go!

His scalp and face are itching like crazy again. Can't get enough scratching and we can't do it hard enough so I'm checking out my list of previous medications he's had and will suggest they look into it.

The sun is shining and sky is blue...certainly hope someone has made sure his blinds are open today.

No comments: