Sunday, March 6, 2011

Back one more step

This is Barb. Dad and I went to Ft. Wayne today and visited Jon at St. Josephs. We were there for about 2 hours.

The visiting hours are restricted from 6:30 to 8:00 both am and pm for distribution of medications.

Jon was in a good mood and pleased to see us. He sang me "Happy Birthday" when he saw me. While we were there the Respiratory Therapist came in and gave him a breathing treatment. She said all looked pretty good. Dad went down to eat and I fed Jon his lunch. He was eating well.However, about a half hour later, the nurse came in and said that due to having to increase the amount of oxygen they have been giving him in order for his oxygen level to remain above 95, they were going to do a chest xray and a blood draw. The blood draw would be to check for blood gas levels (the actual amount of oxygen in the blood) and to check his potassium levels. They are giving him antibiotics and potassium in his IV. When she said they were doing a blood gas draw and a chest xray, I looked at Jon and said "To see if you have pneumonia". The nurse turned to me and asked "Are you a nurse?" I said "No. I've just been with him from the beginning. He used to get pneumonia alot". She said "Oh, I thought maybe you were the one." Jon looked at her and said "No. That's my niece. She's studying to be a nurse". I looked at Jon and said "No. Angelique's not going to be a nurse." He looked at me and said "No. Joey's wife or girlfriend, going to be wife, Jenny". I said "Yes, she is studying to be a nurse. She's almost done with her studies." The results of the chest xray came back as we were leaving. She said "The xrays showed fluid in the right lung and we are going to put a percussion vest on you four times a day. Have you ever had one before?" Jon just looked blank. I said "Yes. You had one right after the accident to get your lungs clear". He said "I don't remember". After we left, Mom sent me a text. They found a dark spot on the xray and are concerned that it is food. He used to aspirate when he started eating solid food but it has been quite a while since he aspirated. They are doing a bronchioscopy tonight.

We will keep you updated as information becomes available. Please pray for Jon and his lungs.

Many blessings, Barb

No comments: