Sunday, January 17, 2010

Independence Ain't Just a Dam in Defiance

So, I haven’t written a blog post in quite awhile. Even when I could go to Columbus and visit with Uncle J, I never felt compelled to write or share many of the happenings from my visits. Today though, Josh and I went to see Uncle J for a bit and Grandma was already there. He showed us the new room he will be moving to next week and I worked on his hands, giving him a mini manicure. There was a lot of grooming going on and his moustache was also trimmed for him. Then, it was time for a shave with the electric razor. The great part about that was that HE was the one using the electric razor!

I love these moments. He could’ve been doing this for a long time, I’m not sure, but this is the first time I have seen it. I have loved every time I see Jon accomplish a new task on his own. When he could feed himself with his utensils, learned how to use his hands to eat a sandwich or pick up chips, learned to maneuver himself to hit the TV buttons, and I absolutely love the way he can use his Camelbak to drink water himself. None of us could have predicted any of the events of the last 16 months any more than we can predict the next 16 months, but I can only hope that these instances of independence will continue to multiply!

P.S. I read an article in Forbes a few weeks ago that I found inspiring and I have pasted the link below. A-MAZE-ING!

http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2009/1214/breakthroughs-mit-herr-robotics-step-beyond-human.html


Angelique-I forgot to mention that I saw Jon leaning forward then pulling himself backward. That will make it even easier to position himself. The first time I saw Mark at the Village lean over to pull ouut a Kleenex I was amazed and Jon seems on the way to being able to move his upper torso more...
Grandma

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Way to go Jon!! We've been trying to get you to use it. I'm glad to see you have finally tried and done it. Each step of independence is a great step forward. Keep up the good work!!!!!

Angelique,

I read the article and it is fantastic! I also encourage others to read it.


Barb