Saturday, October 24, 2009

One year since accident!

Last night we found out that the wound itself is infected, with MRSA again. He started taking Bactrium DS, a pill, twice a day for 7 days. The x-ray was primarily taken to find out if there was an infection in the bone (which could only occur if the wound had made it's way back to the bone). Luckily there is no infection in the bone therefore we are assuming that the wound is not at the bone. The hole is too small to look down. Greg came last night and a friend, Paul, came to visit today.

"Hello everybody this is Jon. It has been one year since my accident. I have good news. It feels great to have my trach out. It does not bother me to swallow food anymore or when I move my neck around because the big lump in my throat is gone. The hole in my throat is almost healed. But it will be a little bit longer before it is fully healed. They keep it taped shut and change the dressing daily. The opening for my feeding tube is almost completely healed. It looks like I have two belly buttons now : ( In other words I have two innies!! Which makes me very unique. They are saying that any day now I can have my home evaluation (this will determine the amount of waiver he is eligible for. This is what we have been waiting for all these months.) After that I will go to Dodd for 3 weeks and then I will go home. So soon I will go home to everybody. Have to go. Love to everyone. Bye."

My title originally read "One step back, One step forward". I was looking at Jon's wound as being a step back. He is focusing on the fact that he is getting to go home soon. It reminded me that he has come soooo far since the accident that the wound is small compared to all the progress he has made. There will always be obstacles but it does not have to become a set back. He is not seeing the wound as a set back.

No comments: