Saturday, October 3, 2009

....and still more developments

The speech therapist moves fast! Thursday morning Jon headed over to St. Anne's for a full blown swallowing test. Food is "tainted" with barium and a machine tracks it as he swallows. Jon said it went well but I haven't heard the official results yet.

Thursday afternoon Jon and I talked about the whole physical therapy bit and how he needed something more detailed than the arm swinging he does during the pressure relief minute or two every half hour. So we decided that on days when no therapy is scheduled we would devote that same half hour every day to our own program. We're including more head movement since he still is relying mostly on looking at you out of the corner of his eye instead of moving his head and looking head on. Also including shoulder shrugs and arm movements. So when when his occupational therapist announced that she was leaving also Jon told her I was already starting to do therapy with him.

Yesterday I managed to get some time to cut his hair--Thursday I soaked his hands so I could trim his nails. Last night the nurse told us that the throat culture that had been taken earlier in the week showed that the type of pneumonia he has was resistant to both zosyn and cipro which is what he's been on for the last week. Another medication will be started today, my memory fails me at this time as to what it will be.

Arrangements are coming along for him to attend the family reunion next Saturday. Barb's located a van rental agency that has vans that are equipped for wheelchairs and we have tentative approval from the doctor. Jon's really looking forward to the trip and it will be a good trial for the long trip home since this is a two hour trip one way. Thank goodness his chair tilts way back and he could get a nap in either direction,

Thanks for checking in. I won't be back until Tuesday when I bring Carol.

2 comments:

Mark S. said...

Hey Jon!

I'm glad to hear you are still planning on coming to the reunion. I'm looking forward to see you and everyone. Let's pray for warm sunshine with 0 wind on next Saturday!

I'm glad to see you taking it upon yourself to workout. That's what it takes; Determination and creativity, irregardless of others around you.They have their own issues to worry about, as you are seeing. Keep on keeping on!
Cus' Mark

Cus' Mark said...

I just re-read the latest blog and wanted to add - workout with weights as much as you are able also. You HAVE to use resistance excersice to develope STRENGTH. The other is great for range of motion and being limber, which is important also , but work out with weights, resistance bands, something of that nature also, to develope strength!