Monday, October 12, 2009

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

In spite of Barb's effort to take measurements and compare them with the height of the van, the angle of the chair and Jon's head did not clear the door upon entry. It required leaning the chairseat back so far that we had to push it in manually--all 450+ pounds. Then he had problems getting it centered so that it could be tied down properly. We finally got things fairly well situated and were off...and rather convinced that this was not the kind of vehicle we'd be looking to buy.
The day went very well. Everyone was delighted that Jon made it and was doing so well. People were in and out of the cabin all day giving them a chance to visit. He and his cousin Mark, also wheelchair bound, had a chance for long talks about adjustments and home modifications. We left about 7:30 with Angelique riding with us and Greg following so he could take her back to the campfire which they all enjoy so much. I sent them back about half way home and found someone to help me get the wheelchair unfastened. A worker got one side and showed me how to do it and I started to go around the van to do the same on my side. There was just one flaw...I forgot I was on the ramp and tripped. Jon described my fall as looking like I was diving into water with my hands straight out. I did a quick check and while I was sore everything seemed to work; fingers, arm, no bump on the head... just a broken fingernail that I had heard crack taking a good chunk of my fingertip with it. (I had been worried that it had been a bone snapping.) I got him all settled and unpacked the van and headed for home. I took an extra duty Tylenol and waited for it to work. Two hours later I headed for the emergency room. Six hours later, and at least 9 x-rays, I left with the finding of two severely sprained elbows and a possible fracture of the scaphoid bone at the base of the wrist on the thumb side which necessitated a splint. Later I had a call that the x-ray of the right elbow showed a fracture also. Tomorrow I get a cast on the left wrist and my guess is another on my right arm.
Today Jon had great news for us when we arrived saying that the feeding tube had been removed--one more goal met and another step closer to being discharged! ...and that it was his last day of physical and occupational therapy. I had a little chat with the head of therapy and that may not be the case. We think everything is a go for the power chair which he won't get until the week of discharge, whenever that may be.

2 comments:

Cus' Mark said...

A good time was had by all! It was really good seeing you at the reunion looking so good. I enjoyed our conversation, seeing everyone, and, of course, all the good food!
It's a shame such a great day had to end in misery for Marj. She had done so well all day. It only takes one wrong turn and a second for things to happen. Prayers for a speedy recovery for Marj, continued progress for John, and a soon to be home coming!

Mark Again said...

Jon will most likely need a full size van with a lift. One advantage of using an electric chair is that the driver's seat can be removed, a special locking mechanism installed on the bottom of his chair and on the floor, and he can just roll right up to the steering wheel, lock in, and go!
Can't do that if using a manual type wheelchair. Does Dodd hall offer driving training for hand controls?