Saturday, April 9, 2011

Progress--whooo hoo!

Noticed the date on the last post and have to apologize. I didn't realize it had been so long since I updated this blog.

The wound vac situation is not as dire because one of the wounds has healed enough that it doesn't need a vac which is very good news. He went to the wound doctor again two days ago and he was pleased with the progress so far. I had seen the one on the leg and thought it looked much bigger than the original measurements but evidently it is healing nicely also.

Evidently when Jon was at St Joe's in Fort Wayne early in March they were concerned about whether Jon might be diabetic. I knew that when he first came to Victory that his blood sugar was being monitored several times a day--in fact, it was checked 4 times a day and then down to 2 and now is at 1. However, while at St Joe's they must have given him a glucose test because he is getting two insulin shots a day.

My mother and sister, Margaret Anne, came down two Sundays ago to see Jon and Angelique and her beau, Jeff, brought me up the week before that. Carol tries to come with me on the weeks she has 3 days off in a row. The drive can be rather long -- not as long as to Columbus--but I'm usually there an hour and a half before turning around and coming home but I do make it up at least twice a week.

I've been disappointed in the occupational therapy, or lack thereof but Jon lets us work on his hands when we come. Thursday he said that a nurse worked on his feet, probably the first time in almost a month.

When I came up yesterday I was chatting away and he said very seriously, " Mom, they came in to wash my face today and they scrubbed so hard...so hard that all my hair came off." I hadn't noticed that he had had a shave and the beard was gone! It was getting scruffy...his words...I thought it had already gone to scruffy long ago so it was a wonder I hadn't noticed it right off the bat!

Carol had been talking to an aide who worked at a place in Napoleon and made a contact to see if they would accept Jon as a resident. It would be a 15-20 minute drive for us instead of an hour and 15 minutes. Unfortunately, they thought the wound on the leg and two wounds needing a vac was beyond them and turned him down...on the same day he was taken off one of them! We're thinking as long as good progress is being made where he is that we'll stay put and move him when things are looking even better. The fact that he is on zosyn, which is quite expensive, may also have been a factor in their saying no. I know it was when we were trying to come up to Defiance.

There has been a change of attitude...long periods in bed lend themselves to some thinking and he now says he "really blew it" while at Brookview. I think he's only thinking in terms of not following their advice with going to bed more often and staying there when it was advised and not his behavior in general, however, that would be an extremely welcome change of mind, also.

He would like company and now since the weather should be turning nicer you might think about taking a drive his way. The place is just 6-7 blocks away from I 75 and very easy to find.

Warmer weather is coming, warmer weather is coming, warmer weather is coming---suppose I should stay away from some of the rallies I've been attending?

No comments: