Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Whoops, My Apologies

Where does the time go? When Barb and I get home from the rehab center we are both exhausted and there are chores there to do also. When the wound vac came off they ran a culture and found that it was positive for mrsa again. That's the bacteria that is highly resistant to antibiotics. It's my understanding that it never really goes away completely and is apt to reoccur. There are 5 antibiotics that still work and I notice that his present one is the third one of the five that has been used for one thing or another.

His mood is generally good although last week I didn't see the sparkle in his eye that I usually see. He continues to enjoy word searches. Last week I was trying to talk to one of the other patients and he was naming off words he had found and I finally handed him the pen. He could circle about 3-4 words, sometimes using the left hand to steady the right one, before he handed it back to me. I bought a new game called Sort It Out while I was in Baltimore which I think he will enjoy. You have to put 5 sets of things in order from great to least (or visa versa) or the time in history they occurred, etc. You get a point for each item you have right.

He continues to gain weight which is good, at least in their eyes. I don't know if they realize how much more than his normal weight he is putting on. He usually weighed some place in the mid 140s and he is presently at 152 (+?) I'm not sure they realize the strength capabilities of Carol, Greg and me! They have cut his night tube feedings in half and we are really looking forward to the time they decide to stop them.

I'm taking Carol back with me today and so I hope to have a more complete report for you soon.

Again, my apologies for the delay. I can't get over how many of you check in on a regular basis! Thanks ever so much.

No comments: