Thursday, March 5, 2009

Update

Wednesday March 4, 2009 (written and posted March 5th)

Jon finally made it to the second step in the healing process of his bedsore. The wound nurse deemed the cleaning procedure a success and placed a wound VAC on it yesterday. His Dad just called and said that the swallowing test has been done already and the results are back--he can have a small Frosty. Boy does that man like Wendy ‘s Frosties!

Yesterday was a rather quiet day. The physical therapists had Jon sitting on the side of the bed for 5 minutes, strengthening his balance. He then was situated in a wheel chair and sat up for an hour. He really kind of wanted to take a ride and see what the rest of the place looks like but although he’s not using the ventilator for breathing he is getting pressure support from it so as long as he’s attached he can’t go anywhere…another thing to look forward to?

A retired doctor from Dodd stopped by. He was filling in for one of Select Specialties doctors so I asked about the pillow situation. We have gotten the okay for a very thin pillow. He looks so much more comfortable and actually I think more in alignment with the rest of his back. Now the battle is on in readjusting it every 15 minutes or so!!!! Can’t win for losing, eh?

We finished the book Three Cups of Tea and now I’m reading The Kite Runner to him. We’re stuck on a middle east theme I guess. I gave him a choice of 3 books I had handy and that one won.

I need to thank Jon’s Dad for all the nights he’s spent at the hospital. It would not be possible for me to be there 24/7 and until we’re sure they are regular in the 2 hour turnings it is helpful to have someone there. Barb fills in for me on the week-ends so I can go back to Defiance for a much needed break from the routine…if I keep reading 90 some pages aloud a day my throat may need it too. Jon enjoys the stories and says he likes the sound of my voice. I just have to keep an eye on him since he listens with his eyes closed and sometimes I’m not sure he’s still awake. However, if I stop in the middle of a sentence…..

Must close and take the computer to Barb’s school so she can post this and then it’s off to the hospital. Thanks for all your prayers and inquiries. We tell Jon you called or posted a note and he appreciates it. Thanks again from all of us.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

way to go, Jon, on the Frosty accomplishment!!!! i can remember still how hungry i was after i awoke from my surgery and when i tore into that chicken broth, i proclaimed that it was, "the best meal i've ever had!!"........ENJOY!!!!!!
thoughts, prayers, and hugs to all of you...........Robin D. :)

Unknown said...

When I was reading the first person's comment, I thought, "That sounds just like Robin's comment about chicken broth." Than I saw it was Robin. Far out! I was there when she said that. 10 years ago this month.
Hang in there John. You are making good progress since the last time I checked the blog.
Enjoy those treats.
Don and Deb