Friday, July 30, 2010

A Reprieve of Sorts

Jon has recovered well from his bout of pneumonia. He occasionally coughs and get get up to 1500 on the spirometer- a gadget that measures lung capacity. It can measure up to 2500 but I don't think he has even come close to that.

As a result of police being called to help Jon when he passed out a week ago Jon was cited on two counts: open container and possession. He went to court today and as I gather from the judge's conversation with Jon the police were called as a medical emergency not a traffic violation. Due to a couple of other reasons that I'm not sure I have straight the charges were dropped and only court costs were assessed.

Jon has been busy scouting around for a new place to live. We have checked two places and I think maneuverability of his chair is going to be a big factor. Places with lower rent also seem to be older and have narrower hallways.

During his talk with Brookview last week he adamantly refused drug and alcohol counseling or any other counseling that make him a little easier to deal with. If he has always been a "my way or the highway" kind of guy then either he wasn't around family enough for us to find it as annoying as we do now or he has gotten much worse. He's also bugging me about a van so he can drive again--we won't even go there!

Thanks for checking in.

2 comments:

Cus' Mark said...

Jon, we CAN"T live as we did before becoming disabled. That doesn't mean we can't do things, just have to accept that there are many we aren't going to be able to do. I'd try to find some part time work or ministry to be involved in, that's what I'm going to do, in fact, whenever this decubitus that I've been fighting for 14 months finally heals. I'm praying for you Cus'!!

Cus' Mark said...

Oh, and on the driving, I wouldn't be worrying about a van until you get your new driver's license. You can't just go and get it, I don't think. You'll need to cantact a rehab center and find out who (and where) does that.