Saturday, January 3, 2009

One Fine Day

Got to visit Uncle J today. It was most definitely the best visit I have had in a long time. I worked on his hands: soaked them in warm, soapy water, trimmed his nails, and worked on the excess skin and lotion build-up he had going on. He did really good with that. I also fed him his dinner. I am very gung-ho on the whole eating food thing and he hasn't been eating much. He did really well, eating almost half of everything! That was encouraging. Visitors today included: his mom and dad, siblings Barb and Greg, friends Greg and Jimmy, and me. We had a few laughs throughout the day and that was nice. They told us he was going to get his first shower tonight and he is excited about that. We are a little curious as to how it is going to work, but know after 2 1/2 months of sponge baths only, it will most likely be very good for him!

During conversation with Grandma and myself, he mentioned something about his truck. We told him that even with modifications (hand controls, etc.), if they could be made, we didn't think it would suit him. His eyes got really big and alarmed and he said, "You mean I'm not going to get my legs back?" Grandma told him they've said not, but that you never know what can happen. Then we told him more in depth about his injuries and the prognosis. He told me he was concerned about being a burden to us, and I told him to not even think like that, we are his family and would be there no matter what! Then I talked to him about some friends and family who are in similar situations and how well they have done. He acknowledged that and I think will definitely be looking forward to talking to them, sharing experiences, and receiving advice.

I do know that Grandma had a chance to show him the blog, read him comments, and show him who follows it. So keep checking in and posting comments, we will do our best to make sure he gets them. Thanks for checking in. We hope to continue with many more good posts!

P.S. My mom (Carol) just called me and told me that he did, in fact, enjoy his shower and that the nurse said he was very talkative. :)

1 comment:

toby said...

YEA Jon! Stay positive, I'm still praying for you